One of the biggest fashion challenges people face during the holiday season is weight gain. What follows are some tips to help you avoid eating your way through the holidays.
- Eat healthy meals and snacks throughout the day and especially before a social event. Avoid arriving at functions so hungry that you will want to eat everything in sight. Simple snacks such as raw fruits and vegetables and non-fat, sugar-free yogurt are good choices.
- Try not to keep tempting foods on hand. Pass along any food gifts or leftovers you fear you may consume. Do not keep high caloric foods on hand for guests who may drop by.
- Take care of yourself to reduce holiday stress. Being rested, getting exercise and staying relaxed help you control overeating.
- Spend time with people in ways that do not involve food. Go for a walk, meet at the gym, go to a holiday performance, shop or make holiday gifts together.
- Brush your teeth, floss, use sugar-free breath mints and gum and put on fresh lipstick and lip liner. There is nothing like a clean, freshly made-up mouth to discourage you from eating.
- Limit alcohol. It is high in calories, hard to keep track of quantity and it tends to make you want to eat more.
- Even if you overindulge, do not think it is all over so you may as well eat more. Just make your next meal a healthy one. If you choose splurges carefully, you can still maintain your weight.
- Wear fitted clothing around your waist to remind you that you have eaten enough!